Fairtrade International’s various policies aim to address gender inequality in their producer organisations. The gender-specific requirements include:
- No discrimination on the basis of gender or marital status.
- Zero tolerance of behaviour that is sexually intimidating, abusive or exploitative.
- No pregnancy testing when recruiting workers.
- Programmes to support disadvantaged and marginalised groups, such as women.
- Developing a robust gender policy, over time specific to the producers.
This is further encouraged in producer organisations as seen in Ecuadorian flower farms where Fairtrade International takes the above requirements and updates them in order to support the specific needs of these women, for example anti-sexual harassment and other forms of violence